So, it’s schmoozing time on the road, dinners out, breakfasts at hotels, lunches with friends. How do you do Paleo without being that obnoxious person who picks at their food or leaves tons on their plate.
Well, it’s doable and amazingly easy.
Here’s my findings from the week. Let me know if you have any further suggestions.
Choose a hotel with a reasonable breakfast bar. My favourite is the Hyatt Place.
- hot food: eggs in various styles
- choose your fruit: pineapple, canteloupe, grapefruit, bananas, oranges
When going for lunch or dinner, review the menu in advance, when the brain is not tempted and logic can win.
- Cafe Centraal — Provencal mussels: Oven-roasted tomatoes, white wine, basil, olive oil, parsley and of course, mussels
- Hamburger Mary’s — Guacomole BJ: lettuce cups, turkey burger, guacomole, jack cheese salad
- Botanas — shrimp ceviche: shrimp marinated in lime juice with cilantro, onions, tomatoes and garnished with avocado and special sauce.
- Add salads/vegetables as appetizers or sides.
- Ask the breads, carbs to be held to keep temptation down.
When ordering at the hotel, graciously ask if you can substitute, or ask if they can remove items. (Again, a quality, service-focused hotel helps here.)
- Café Salad: Crisp Romaine, Turkey Breast, Smoked Ham, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, Diced Tomatoes & Red Onions with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Spinach Salad: Baby Spinach, Marinated Artichokes, Red Onions, Almonds & Dried Cranberries with Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Turkey Club: Roasted Turkey Breast, Applewood Smoked Bacon,
Lettuce, Diced Tomatoes & Garlic Aioli, served on your choice of Toasted Sourdough
or Multigrain Bread == hold the bread! Here, the hotel went stellar by turning it into a wrap using the turkey as the wrap.
Of course, it helps to have a workplace that has a fabulous salad bar, so vegetables are consumed to make up for any missed in any meal with some quality protein on the side.
It is do-able,and it is do-able without being obnoxious or obvious…..and more important it is enjoyable and delicious….and you can get your energy for your CrossFit times.